This week we recognize how health disparities affect minority groups and under-served populations.
- Minority groups are disproportionately affected by cancer.
- Eliminating health disparities for minorities starts with awareness. Learn more from the Center for Disease Control & Prevention.
- African Americans have the highest incidence rates of colorectal cancer of any racial or ethnic group, according to the American Cancer Society.
- The National Cancer Institute reports that Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have the highest incidence rates for both liver and stomach cancers and are twice as likely to die from these cancers as whites.
- LGBTQ+ communities are affected by cancer, too. Learn how this disparity is being addressed by LGBT HealthLink: http://www.lgbthealthlink.org/