How do you use volunteers?
Volunteers fill a variety of different roles within our organization. Below are a few examples of the work they do.
Non-Direct Client Support
• General office tasks and projects
• Help at our annual Walkathon & 5K Run
• Serve on our board or one of our committees
• Assist with fundraising, PR, and/or Marketing
• Staff educational displays at public events
• Tend our gardens
• Fix and/or build things around our office
Direct Client Support
• Transportation to medical appointments
• Provide information and support at the CRC office or Cayuga Medical Center
• Write friendly greeting cards to clients
• Assist clients with light chores around the home
Click here for further information about volunteer opportunities.
You can also contact Sharon Kaplan, Director of Volunteer Services email@example.com or 277-0960 ext. 229.
Do I need to be a cancer survivor?
No. Some of our staff and many of our volunteers are people who have not had cancer themselves, but are committed to helping in a variety of ways.
What is the training?
The type and duration of training depends upon your volunteer position. For volunteers who routinely provide direct support to clients, you’ll receive an initial 6-hour training in confidentiality, active listening skills, boundaries, cancer basics, and more. You will be expected to attend monthly 1 ½ hour meetings for all direct client service volunteers. For volunteers who help at special events, such as fundraisers and outreach, training will be provided for your specific task on the day of the event.
What is the time commitment?
This depends upon the type of volunteer position you choose. Some of our volunteers work only one day per year at the Walkathon & 5K or some other event. Others are able to work 3-4 hours per week. Many volunteer just a few hours each month.
Can I volunteer in the evenings and on weekends?
We do have opportunities for people with limited availability. Please check with the Director of Volunteer Services to inquire about current openings.
Do you perform a background check?
We ask you to provide us with 3 character references. If you will be transporting clients, we will ask for a copy of your driver’s license and the page of your insurance that shows your deductibles.